Friday, August 27, 2010

Buttermilk Griddle Cakes

Buttermilk Griddle Cakes

My mom use to make these all the time for us and I just thought I'd share this wonderful recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/4 cup melted shortening

*To make sour milk~ pour 1 tsp of white vinegar into a cup of regular milk and use as directed.

Directions:
Directions: Sift flour, measure, resift twice with the next 4 ingredients (old cookbook directions, who does this anyway?), the last time into a 2-qt mixing bowl. Beat egg, stir in milk, add all at once to flour mixture. Beat with egg beater until just smooth, add shortening and beat until blended.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased (I use a little melted butter) moderately hot griddle. Bake until golden brown on both sides. I flip when I see the edges starting to dry and bubbles on the tops. Serve with butter and syrup.
Options: I sometime sprinkle some blueberries or some chopped up banana right after I pour the batter in the pan.
Source: From an old cookbook called "Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking" 1947
By sharon rose from Modesto, CA

No comments: